Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Day Before and The Day Of... the First Day

I downloaded the Blogger app on my phone, spent a ton of time typing up what went down yesterday only to have the app say publishing since last night! So let’s back track a little to a yesterday then I’ll fill you in on what went down today.

It was Monday morning when I woke up at 11am! I never can sleep past 6am at home. But being jet lagged and having a late night beer with the production crew at 2am didn’t help.

I took my time getting ready to hit the road to the comp site. I asked Dallas Singer (my roommate) to take my backpack as I opted to swim the mile or so in the ocean over to Praia Grande. The conditions were perfect. 4pm and glassy. I made the swim in good time. The south current helped. My wife would be proud.

I hung out a little more than headed to the Mar Bar for the opening ceremony of the event. Before it all went down, I chilled out with the guys from the Azores and Morocco. The organizer and an official from the city were on hand for the ceremony. After all the official business was done it was time for the first night of the four day video premieres. Elmo from Rideitt.com organized the awesome four day showings. Epic idea. I hung out as long as I could until I had to leave to try to get some sleep. I got a lift home from some friends I met last year.

And in typical fashion, the entire production crew were awake at midnight on their computers working in the lobby. I sat down and did a few emails and made up the schedule for commentators then off to bed.

This morning, I woke up to Tezza’s loud voice. It was 7am and I was supposed to leave in the car at 7:30! I got up, showered and got dressed as fast as I could. When I got down in the lobby, everyone was still there eating breakfast. Relief. I can stop stressing now.

Did I mention, I miss my wife? We just got a new place and I ‘m not spending it with her, argh!

Okay, so today was the first day of the comp and we were going live. We went through the motions of the live feed all day. We usually don’t run the live feed during the trials. But we all were here and so we went for it and worked out any and all kinks. Next thing I know, the sun is setting and the comp is called off because of the glare. It was almost 8pm! That’s some crazy hours at the office.

I got the schedule for tomorrow dialed in and headed back to the Mar Bar for a drink and to see Elmo. I met a cool guy named Joao and his wife and they ended up giving me a ride back to the hotel.
And now I’m back in the lobby ready to pass out. See you tomorrow.

Get Adobe Flash player
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment