Monday, December 27, 2010

From My Point Of View

Has it really been over two weeks since my last post!? Apologies my friends. Let's get back on track.

As some of you may or may not know, I spent the last couple weeks in the Canary Islands; specifically Gran Canaria. I was hired to commentate the first ever international bodyboarding event at the infamous El Fronton. This wave is by far the most perfect bodyboarding wave on the planet. The reef makes the wave come together and create perfect barrels and perfect wedging ramps. So deep barrels and high flying acrobatics are the norm at this place.

The Wild Wild Wave El Fronton Invitational was streamed live via RedBull.com's satellite. It was the first time in history that Red Bull has broadcasted any type of bodyboarding. The event was spectacular. But the one thing that I came to realize as the event started was that I was not going to see the event live myself! Yes, I was on the beach but my job as the webcast commentator was to give the play-by-play one or two seconds after it had actually happened! I had to keep my eyes on a monitor that you and all the viewers were watching. So essentially what you were seeing live, I was seeing live as well. The cool part about it was that I was the only one to watch all the replays. But on the other hand, I couldn't give you the up to the minute scoring. The scoring machine was not hooked up to our area or monitor. That will be remedied for the Pipeline Pro event come February 15th. Make sure you watch.

2011 is going to be pretty hectic. I'll be following the entire IBA Grand Slam Series Bodyboarding World Tour as the webcast commentator. Please tune in and watch all the events live. I'll be coming at you from Hawaii, Chile, Australia, Mainland Mexico, Reunion Island and the Canary Islands. Oh yes... very hectic.

From Cabo, my R&R retreat,
MannyV

No comments:

Post a Comment