Thursday, September 15, 2011

Not For Sale.

About a year and a half ago, I met Jun for the first time. It was in the Ehukai Beach Park parking lot on the North Shore. He was wearing these shades the time I met him. I was wearing my board bag, with board and fins packed inside.

I saw him walking towards me as and I thought to myself, "I want those sunglasses." I reverted to my bartering skills that I've mastered in the hoods of IB. "Hello, my name is Manny. Can I buy those sunglasses off you?" "Hello. I'm Jun. No. Sorry. Not for sale," Jun said. So I offered everything off my back; board bag, board, and fins. "No. Not for sale," he repeated. We stood there as I kept upping the ante and nothing. "Not for sale." He went on his way and I thought about those shades for about another couple days then that was it. Until....

I saw Jun on the first day of the IBA Sintra Portugal Pro. "Manny, I have a gift for you." I was stoked. I always love gifts. My mom always said, "accept gifts from people that offer. If you don't, you are being disrespectful. But always remember the person that gave you the gift and how it felt." I love it. Okay, so Jun comes back and does this (see photo). Are you freakin' kidding me? After a year and a half, Jun remembered! I was expecting a I Love Japan sticker or something. But the shades?! In honor of my mother, I happily excepted. Now, as Sir Isaac Newton once said, "for every action, there's an opposite and equal reaction." I want to make sure I hook up Jun with a gift that will mean something to him. I think I know what it is. Stay tuned for his reaction as I meet him in Reunion Island in a couple weeks.

Respect. Thank you Jun.

1 comment:

  1. I met Jun, inside the water in PG Sintra, normaly Japanese people dont do not talk much. Tell him some things I know in Japanese as, another beer please and welcome, and answer, and we chat a litle.
    It seemed a cool dude (gaijo porreiro PT languagem) and this post confirm that.
    Nice Blog

    Check my blog if you have time
    http://jorgebrunabrito.blogspot.com/

    best regards
    JBrito

    ReplyDelete