Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spur Of The Moment

After checking out the cams on Surfline and seeing how small the waves were, I was ready to call off going to the water to shoot. But then my wife, Mailei, noticed how calm it was outside. The sun was popping in and out of the clouds and it just looked nice outside.

"We need to get you a (SUP) board so we can go out there right now," she said. A light bulb turned on in my head.

I've been wanting to capture this Coronado bridge and SUP paddler in a vertical photo. This was it.

I was gung ho and sent my wife out into the SD Bay. When she started paddling away, that's when it hit me... holy shit, she's tiny compared to the massive structure of the bridge, tug boats, big 'ol crane boat things and... I got worried. She made it to the bridge no problem. Then a  few boats started to cruise by and I had her come in. She was a trooper and made it happen.

Will I send her out there again? Of course! But with another paddler, for sure. Thank you honey.

Mailei going for broke in the SD bay.

 You can barely make out Mailei just to the left of the pillar.

No comments:

Post a Comment